A mattress is an investment; therefore, many consider purchasing a mattress topper as an alternative to buying a brand-new mattress. The primary purpose of a mattress topper is to increase the life of a mattress. However, it is not something that should be used as a band-aid for a mattress that has broken-down or lost its support.
Several mattress toppers options are available in the market today. There are some key factors to keep in mind before finalizing one. Here, we will jot down about the main things that need to be considered before purchasing a mattress topper.
What to Consider Before Buying a Mattress Topper?
A mattress topper is available in different materials. The best and most popular materials from which mattress toppers are made are as follows:
- Polyester or Feather Blend: The polyester or feather blend mattress toppers are not only soft, but they also can turn out to be soft and provide little support to the user. The least expensive is the one made from a polyester blend.
- Wool: Mattress pads made from wool fleece provide a soft layer to the mattress. This natural and hypoallergenic material keeps the user warm in winters and cool in summers. Such mattress toppers can be quite challenging to find and might even be expensive.
- Memory Foam: The mattress topper made from memory foam gives almost the same comfort to the user as a mattress itself, that too without much cost. Memory foam can turn out to be a great option for people with sore joints.
- Latex and Polyfoam: If you want a supportive and firm mattress that supports your weight, you should go for latex and polyurethane toppers, which provide extra cushioning. These are great in case you have a limited budget.
The most standard thickness for a mattress topper should be about 2-3 inches. In case you need something thicker to feel comfortable, you should consider replacing your mattress or buying a new one.
3. Proper Fit to the Mattress
It is important to consider whether the mattress topper that you are purchasing is suitable for your mattress. In case you piece two smaller toppers together or have a topper hanging from the mattress’s side, it wouldn’t provide a much comfortable sleeping experience.
4. Body Support and Comfort
You need to know what type of mattress topper you are looking for. You can take the help of a mattress expert before purchasing to narrow down the most suitable options according to your needs and preferences. A mattress topper not only needs to be comfortable, but it should also be able to provide adequate body support.
5. Cost and Quality
Using a mattress topper, you can save up to 50% of the total cost that you would spend on replacing your mattress. Thus, it is important to consider a mattress topper that is of high quality. However, one should set a budget so that you do not go overboard and overspend.
Mattress toppers are just like your friends – they would be there whenever you want to feel relaxed, or to shed off the daily stress. They would provide you proper rest after a hard-working day. Thus, it becomes really important to choose a good mattress topper.