As a dog owner, you need to know everything about grooming and basic care. If your dog has a smooth coat, you may not need to brush him regularly. However, there are a couple of things that you need to check. In most cases, people buy puppies without realizing how much they need to be groomed. Let’s see about the basic grooming tutorial.
Some dogs need to be groomed every day and have a haircut at least once every month. This takes a lot of time and energy. Therefore, if you have lots of things to do, you should consider hiring a professional groomer. If your dog is not groomed properly, his hair can become matted. And this will make him extremely uncomfortable.
Every dog owner has a responsibility to ensure that their furry friend is groomed accordingly. If you are new to the world of dog grooming, here are a few tips that will help you get started.
Table of Contents
According to BrillAssignment, every dog is different even if they look alike. However, all dogs fall under specific categories when it comes to coat type. Knowing the type of your dog’s coat is important when it comes to grooming since certain coat types should be groomed in a certain way. You need to ask a professional groomer for advice on how to groom your dog.
- Smooth: A dog with a smooth coat usually has hair close to his body. These dogs should not be groomed frequently. However, they have to have their nails clipped and ears cleaned. Dogs with smooth coats also need regular brushing to eliminate dead coats and give it a shine. Some of the common breeds with smooth coats include Boxers, Dalmatians, and Pointers.
- Double: Dogs with a double coat usually have a dense undercoat with a long topcoat. Such dogs need a fair amount of grooming to keep them in good condition. They need to be brushed regularly to eliminate dead undercoats. Some dogs with double coats need cutting while others can be left so long as you brush them regularly. Some good examples of dogs with double coats include German Shepherds, Huskies, and Alaskan Malamutes.
- Silky: Silky coats tend to be similar to the texture of hair on your head. These coats need specific care since they tend to get knotty and fine. Silky dog coats look great when groomed. And they look soft and silky. Some of the breeds with this coat include Cocker Spaniels, Afghan Hounds and Yorkies.
- Wool: Woolen coats tend to be appealing to most dog owners due to its look. Pets with this coat should be cleaned in a certain way for them to look amazing. Some common breeds with woolen coats include Poodles and Bichon Frise.
- Wire: While wire coats are not usually soft, they tend to have a unique look. Most owners choose to have their furry friends hand stripped if they have this type of coat because it leads to the best results. Dogs with wire coats tend to have a soft undercoat and a harsh topcoat. Most dog owners don’t hand strip their pets because it’s expensive and quite difficult to maintain. Therefore, most pet owners will have their dogs clipped and trimmed. Some common breeds with wire coats include Schnauzers and Fox Terriers.
- Combination: Today, there are a lot of crossbreeds. This means that they have different coat types mixed. When dogs with different types of coats mate, it becomes difficult to predict the coats that the puppies will have. Some of the common cross breeds include Labradoodles and Cockapoos.
There are lots of brushes that you can get for your dog depending on their coat’s texture. Slick brushes are quite common because you can get them for both thick and thin coats. Other types of brushes include coat kings, matt breakers, and bath brushes.
Brush in the direction of the coat. And exercise caution to avoid applying too much pressure. If the dog has a matted coat, don’t try to brush through as it will lead to pain and discomfort. Always have the coat clipped or hire a professional groomer.
When bathing your dog, you should avoid getting water or shampoo into their eyes and ears. When washing the face, hold the ears down to keep water out. If the dog is fearful, don’t start pouring water near the face.
Ensure that you get all the shampoo out of the coat because it can irritate the skin if not washed properly. One of the best ways to ensure that you do this is to look for bubbles and clean hard-to-reach areas such as the stomach or armpit. Towel down your dog to get rid of excess water.
There are a lot of ways to dry your furry friend. You should ensure that your dog is completely dry after a bath to prevent chills. You can hand dry, or use a hairdryer. However, you should exercise caution to avoid burning your dog or scaring him with a dryer.
When drying, always move in the direction of your dog’s coat. Going against the coat will create knots. When it comes to drying the face, turn the dryer down to a low setting. Don’t use this equipment if you don’t have a clue on how to use it. You can always consult your groomer to avoid making expensive mistakes.
Why Dog Grooming is essential
The buildup of matting and dirt can lead to skin irritations if not sorted out early enough. And it can lead to irritation. It can also lead to serious health problems in the future. In dogs, fleas are a universal problem. Therefore, you need to monitor your dog’
It’s important to keep your dog in top condition. While most dog owners associate grooming with improving the looks of the dog, grooming affects the health and quality of life of your furry friend. You should brush your dog frequently, especially if he is long-haired. This will eliminate tangles and knots while removing dirt. s hair regularly. Longer-haired dog breeds should be trimmed regularly especially around the ears and eyes to prevent weeping.
There is a wide range of dog grooming combs and brushes in the market that are designed for different types of coats. You can also find products that treat fleas instantly.
Another important aspect of grooming is bathing. This should be done at least once every month and any time your dog becomes too dirty. You should always use dog shampoo; not human shampoo. Dog shampoos contain ingredients that are designed to care for the dog’s coat. Bathing a dog will allow you to notice injuries and lumps.
Most dog owners understand how difficult it is to keep a dog’s teeth healthy and clean. There are a lot of bone pet products that help in keeping the teeth and gums healthy. Further, you need to clean your dog’s teeth occasionally. You’ll find toothpaste and toothbrush products available in pet and online stores. If you have any problems, you should consult your vet or a professional groomer.
If your dog loves spending most of his time outdoors, you need to clip the nails. However, it’s essential for smaller dogs. Long nails are dangerous not only to you and your loved ones but also furniture. You have to use the right nail clippers.
Dog grooming is good for your furry friend and home in general. Grooming your dog will create a strong bond between you and him. Plus, a clean dog is a healthy and happy dog.
Do’s and don’ts
If you want to groom your dog, there are a few rules that you should follow. You need to familiarize your dog with the grooming process for him to enjoy the process in the long run. If you don’t have the time or energy to groom your dog, you can always hire a professional groomer.
Brush your dog If your dog has a coat that needs to be brushed regularly, you should make time for it. Failing to do this can leave his coat looking terrible. And this will make him feel uncomfortable. If your dog’s hair becomes matted, your dog will have to endure the pain as you brush. Some dog owners don’t like clipping their dog’s hair. However, if brushing takes longer than ten minutes, it’s hurting your dog.
1. Brush before bathing
This is a cardinal rule. If you fail to brush your dog’s hair before the bath, matts will become worse. Plus, it’s quite difficult to get shampoo into hair that has not been brushed.
2. Trim the nails
Your dog’s nails wear down in time. However, they need to be trimmed regularly. Keep an eye on them and trim them when they get too long. You can do this or hire a groomer.
3. Rinse off shampoo
Leaving shampoo on your dog can irritate his skin. Therefore, you need to rinse off the shampoo. Do this methodically and check all the areas that are hard to reach such as the tail, armpits, stomach, and ears.
4. Health check
Grooming your dog allows you to perform a quick health check. You may end up spotting things that you wouldn’t notice such as bumps or lumps.
5. Use the right shampoo
You should always go for high-quality shampoo. Avoid using human shampoo because it contains ingredients that will harm your dog’s skin.
6. Start grooming early
If you want your dog to get used to the grooming process, you need to start early. He needs to feel comfortable with being cleaned regularly. It will be difficult to groom your dog if you start late. The best time to start grooming your dog is when he is a pup.
7. Use the right brush
There are different types of brushes for dogs. The brush that you’ll buy will depend on your dog’s coat type.
- Leaving shampoo on the dog
- Forget to clip nails
- Get shampoo in their ears and eyes
- Brush after bathing
- Hold limbs in an opposite manner
- Stay too long without grooming
- Extreme dog grooming is dangerous
According to the RSPCA, several services can be termed as “extreme dog grooming”. And they affect the health and welfare of dogs. Procedures that prioritize fashion and style are not only unnecessary but also uncomfortable for dogs.
The Pet Industry Foundation reports that the rapid growth of dog spas signifies a growing trend for people to treat dogs as a child. There is no problem with this. However, it can become a concern when pet owners spend thousands of dollars on grooming procedures that are focused on cosmetics. RSPCA reports that this is a worrying trend if it continues to develop since most dog owners might start viewing their pets as ornaments and accessories rather than intelligent and loving animals.
Get your pup used to groom
1. Build confidence
Puppies should get used to the grooming process as early as possible. This is especially important for breeds that will need regular grooming in the future. Get them used to bathing, brushing, and being dried. Don’t overwhelm them by doing too much. If you are not comfortable grooming your dog, you should consult your vet or hire a professional groomer.
You need to make brushing a normal and fun activity for your pup. Always use the appropriate brush.
Some dogs love bathing. While others don’t enjoy it. You should give your pup regular baths for them to get used to water. And always use dog shampoo.
Most dogs don’t like hair dryers blowing on their skin. You should start using a dryer when your dog is young. Also, use a towel to dry your dog before turning on the dryer.
Grooming is not just about improving the looks of your dog. But also his health and wellbeing. Most people don’t realize how important grooming is. If you don’t have the time and energy to groom your dog, you can always hire a professional groomer.