Hybrid cloud is an information technology infrastructure that combines the companies’ on-premises data center with a third party’s public cloud service. This allows enterprises toshare their vital business data and business software applications between the two cloud-based platforms. As a result, the companies can move their workloads to the most optimal cloud-computing platform. This helps them to streamline and automate their business processes to boost internal efficiency. Opting to use a hybrid cloud enables companies to:
- Combine their private cloud platform (on-premises data center) with the most suitable third-party’s cloud service deployment infrastructure,
- Please select the most optimal cloud-computing platform to be timely execute their business’ workloads, and
- Transmit the workloads freely between the private and public cloud platform according to changing circumstances.
How do hybrid cloud-computing platforms operate?
Hybrid cloud-computing infrastructures combine the companies’ on-premises data center (private cloud platform) with a third-parties public cloud platform. This form of interconnectivity between the constituent cloud platforms is possible through:
- Data virtualization involves aggregating business data from multiple information sources to enable front-end solutions to process it properly, and
- Then, passing the business data through various connection tools, which include:
- Local area networks (LANs),
- Wide area networks (WANs),
- Virtual private networks (VPNs), and
- Multiple application programming interfaces (APIs).
Management software transmits the data and allocates the necessary resources tothe cloud-computing platform where the business applications run efficiently. It is then possible for the companies’ end-users to obtain the data they need on-demand using an authentication service. The inherent features of all hybrid cloud-computing infrastructures are as follows:
- Data integration on both public and private cloud-computing platforms,
- The interconnection of both the private and public cloud-computing platforms via the private virtual network or the Internet, and
- An overarching tool manages the various application programming interfaces and the service-level agreement governing the individual cloud-computing platforms.
Skilled specialists from the esteemed company in database management solutions, RemoteDBA.com, say hybrid cloud-computing platforms enable companies to limit the visibility of their vital business data to third parties.They can take the necessary steps to avoid exposing their sensitive data on a public cloud-computing platform. However, the companies can still use the same infrastructure to transmitnon-confidential data. Even then, these corporate enterprises have the following concerns when processing their business data via hybrid cloud-computing platform:
- How they limit data exposure when transmitting it to their trading partners?
- How to comply with the statutory regulations governing data transmission for companies in healthcare and finance sectors? and
- How to ensure the cyber-security software application they adopt is compatible with the trading partners’ IT infrastructure constituting their supply chain?
What is hybrid cloud security?
Hybrid cloud security is the procedure companies adopt to protect their data from potential cyber-security threats in any hybrid cloud environment. These include potential data leakages, denial-of-service attacks, data breaches on account of inadequate authentication, and poor Internet Protocol protection. These procedures involve installing, implementing, orchestrating, and synchronizing security controls in platforms constituting their hybrid cloud-computing environment. Thisensurestheir business data is secure from these dangers while at rest in on-premises data centers or transit.
Components of hybrid cloud security
The cloud security procedures the companies use for hybrid cloud-computing infrastructure should have the following components:
- In-house temperature-control environment mechanism, cameras, and automatic locks to limit access to their on-premises data centers,
- Adequate hardware encryption mechanisms to protect the business data at rest in the on-premises data center,
- Extensive encryption at the network session to ensure the protection of their data from potential breaches during transmission via different platforms,
- Secure virtual private network connections linking the components facilitating data transmission between various cloud-computing platforms, and
- Other relevant measures include proper role-based authorization controls, endpoint security, change monitoring, and multi-level authentication.
In the administrative sphere, the companies should document rules and formulate necessary procedures to:
- Assess the risk and impact of potential cyber-attacks on their hybrid cloud-computing infrastructure,
- Implement emergency disaster recovery plans to retrieve lost data in the aftermath of a potential cyber-attack,
- Enforce suitable data protection measures to ensure the security of their business data in the hybrid-cloud computing platform, and
- Measure to educate and spread awareness among the employees on the importance of cyber-security.
Best industry-approved hybrid cloud security practices
Companies should even take the initiative to adopt the following industry-approved best hybrid cloud securitypractices:
- Identify, classify and regulate access to sensitive business data in the hybrid cloud-computing platform,
- Execute identity and access-control management mechanisms in all platforms making up the hybrid cloud-computing environment,
- Encrypt all sensitive business data regardless of its location and employees with access privileges to it,
- Implement virtual private networking (VPN) connection between on-premises data centers and third-party’s public cloud service infrastructure, and
- Install and activate firewalls throughout the hybrid cloud-computing environment to avert distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks.
Best practices for mixture cloud security
The accepted procedures for customary public and private cloud security additionally apply to crossover cloud conditions. Notwithstanding, here are some particular contemplations to consolidate into your mixture cloud security plan:
- Zero in on information — Regularly distinguish and order the delicate and controlled information you have, across both your private and public cloud conditions. Set up controls to get delicate information in any case to where it lives. Mechanize remediation work processes that help lessen openness of touchy information.
- Carry out character and access the board (IAM) — Ideally, there ought to be a solitary IAM framework for all cloud conditions. Having an in-house framework is best.
- Secure your organization — Consider setting up a VPN between the on-premises climate and the cloud administrations.
- Use encryption — All touchy information should be scrambled regardless of where it is found.
- Focus on edge security — Perimeter security (e.g., firewalls, DDoS assault taking care of, and so forth) should be composed across all conditions with outer interfaces.
The benefits of implementing suitable hybrid cloud security procedures and measures for companies are as follows:
- Significantly minimizes the capital expenditure these enterprises incur in the aftermath of any cyber-attack,
- Monitoring sensitive data passing through multiple data centers constituting the hybrid cloud-computing environment is easier,
- Ensure business continuity with hardly any downtime even in the event of a potential cyber-attack, and
- Setting up control mechanisms ensures people without proper authorization, and access privileges cannot get confidential data.
Both large corporations and small to medium scale businesses should keep the above in mind when they are considering incorporating hybrid cloud security solutions for their organizations.
Therefore, with experienced and skilled DBAs, you can arrest the concerns of hybrid cloud security with success. It is prudent to rely on companies that have proven track records in the field so that you can get the peace of mind deserved to focus on the other core matters of your business.
Suppose you are a small business and have budget limitations when hiring a full-time DBA for your company. In that case, you can bank on credible remote database management and administration companies for the task. You should meet the IT consultants there to get an insight into how they can protect your data with custom-based solutions for your business’s smooth operations at cost-effective rates.